Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Gentle Introduction to Redshirt- Ch. 1

My son is eight. He's an only child. He's unusual, and he's a genius with a mental illness.

For the purposes of my blog, I shall call him Redshirt, the meaning of which I will reveal at some point in a future blog, unless of course you fully grasp the concept already, then you can enjoy a chuckle now.

Last year his teacher told me I should write a book chronicling his adventures; or from my perspective they are mishaps, missteps, riddles and quirks.

Where should I begin? I'd like to ease you in, as you are a new reader and stranger to the Lowe Family Circus. Therefore, I'll start with Redshirt's stuffed animal collection; that is, I'll name them all, each and every one. I'll attempt to list them in chronological order. He has chosen these names without input from another, except the one marked with an asterisk.

Puppy Dog, the puppy dog
Chompy, the beagle dog
Scrumptious, the whiney dog
Scruff, the electric dog
Lovey, the kitty
Squeakers, the whale
Big Joe, the alligator
Leo, the lizard
Tough, the turtle
Rexy, the T Rex
Carmel, the camel
Jaws, the shark


...I know you are thinking What's the big deal? ...wait...
Henry, the mini pup
Ekins, the snake
*Blue Steel, the shark
Sly Cooper, the red fox

(You see, he's getting a little better as he goes along.)

Then he started naming all the strays I've taken in, and subsequently found homes for. This is when the eyebrow inches upward in question, "Where does he get this stuff?"

Bruno
Licor
Sela
Glowy
Vaccine (as in vaccine)
Alaska (as in Alaska)
Richew

That is all I can recall at the moment. I'll be sure to add more as I remember them. I believe that is a good start and so 'till next time--and do come again as the stories unfold; but be forewarned, the content will get a little indelicate at times.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I think this is pretty cool, I read the second chapter first. Keep it up. You got a good way of teling a story and your writing is excellent. One of the best blogs I have read. You need to link to this everywhere, It could become viral....


Matt A.